When you make your weekly trip to the supermarket you undoubtedly expect the store to be free from dangers and hazards that could cause you harm. Unfortunately, not all stores are vigilant about preventing harm to customers. The result may be a supermarket slip and fall accident. If you have been injured in a supermarket slip and fall accident in Queens you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
A business that is open to the public, such as a supermarket, has a heightened duty of care to those who enter the premises. In other words, the local supermarket is legally required to do everything reasonably possible to prevent harm from coming to you when you do your weekly shopping. If the store breaches that duty the store could be held liable for any injuries caused by that breach of duty. The most common type of accident that occurs in a supermarket setting is a "slip and fall" accident. A "slip and fall" accident can occur in a number of ways, including:
- Liquid spilled on the floor that is not cleaned up in a timely manner
- Merchandise spilled into the aisles that is not return to its proper place
- Merchandise stored on high shelves that falls on a customer
- Rugs or floor mats than are not properly secured, causing a customer to trip
- Ice that is not removed in a timely manner from sidewalks or parking lots
- Leaking refrigerators or freezers that cause water build up on floors
- Cracks or chips in concrete walkways that cause a customer to trip
The ways in which an accident could occur are endless. While not all injuries that occur in a supermarket are compensable, many are. A business owner is not required to prevent all possible injuries to patrons of the business; however, the owner is required to do things like make repairs in a timely manner, keep the aisles free of clutter, and clean up spills as soon as they are reported.
A supermarket slip and fall accident in Queens can cause serious, and costly, injuries to the victim. If the supermarket is found to have caused those injuries the victim may be entitled to recover the costs of medical treatment, lost wages, and even pain and suffering caused by the accident. If you have been injured in a Queens supermarket slip and fall accident contact SIMON & GILMAN, LLP right away to determine and assess your rights and claims.