People often think of car accidents when they imagine a personal injury accident. While car accidents are the most common type of personal injury accident, slip and fall accidents are more common than most people realize as well. In fact, many victims of a compensable slip and fall accident don't even realize they have the basis for a valid personal injury lawsuit. To help you recognize if you have been the victim of a slip and fall accident in Queens, consider some of the following common scenarios:
- Liquid spills - a merchant who fails to clean up a liquid spill in a store could be held responsible for injuries if a customer falls as a result.
- Boxes in aisles - boxes left in the aisles can cause a customer to trip, resulting in a compensable accident.
- Ice, snow or water - if a merchant fails to clear sidewalks or walkways of snow, ice, or water in a timely manner the merchant could be held liable for injuries if a customer slips and falls.
- Merchandise on high shelves - if merchandise is stored on high shelves and a customer is injured trying to access the merchandise or because the merchandise falls on them the merchant could be held financially responsible.
- Loose handrails - a client or customer could fall if a handrail comes loose, providing the basis for a lawsuit.
- Poor construction - a business owner has a responsibility to ensure that construction is safe in areas open to the public. Poor construction that leads to an accident could be compensable.
- Lack of maintenance - a business owner has a duty to make repairs in a reasonable amount of time and maintain the property in safe fashion. Failing to do so could lead to liability if an accident occurs as a result.
Although a private individual can also be responsible for injuries occurring on his or her property, most slip and fall accident lawsuits are based on injuries that occur in a store or business that is open to the public. A business has a duty to do everything reasonable to prevent harm to members of the public who enter the premises. If a business breaches that duty, and you are injured as a result, the business could be responsible for your medical expenses and lost wages as well as any pain and suffering the injuries caused you. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Queens, contact the experienced attorneys at Simon & Gilman, LLP right away to find out what legal options you may have.