Simon & Gilman, LLP Serving Queens and NY Metro area for over 35 years
Free Consultation 718-267-8542718-459-6200 SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Name Change Archives

How to Do a Name Change in New York State?

Your name defines who you are. It often gives people an impression of you before they even meet you. Unfortunately, you don't get to choose your name at birth or adoption though. So what happens if you want to change your name? Whether you simply don't like the name you were given, want to change your name after a divorce, or are in fear of an abuser and wish to make it harder for the individual to locate you, it is possible to do a name change in New York.

Queens Premises Liability Explained

Premises liability is a concept that may hold a property owner responsible for anything that happens to you as a result of the owner's negligence while you are on the property. This covers situations such as slipping and falling on a wet floor, being cut by jagged metal or broken glass, a violent attack, and other injury-causing conditions. Not all injuries are caused by negligence, but many are. If you are injured while on someone else's property you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.

What Is Workers' Compensation in Queens, New York?

In Queens, New York, a worker who is injured while on the job or who becomes ill as a result of his or her employment may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits. If you have suffered a workplace injury or believe that your job has caused an illness, it is important that you understand what benefits may be available to you.

Tick, Tock: What is the "Statute of Limitations"?

We have all heard that "haste makes waste," but this may not be true when you have been injured. Whether your injury was caused by an animal attack, a car accident, or a defective product, you should contact our firm as soon as possible. One reason for this is that your injury starts the ticking of a legal clock, known as the "statute of limitations."

What Is A Protection Order in Queens New York?

In the State of New York, an individual can seek protection from alleged abuse or the threat of abuse by applying for an Order of Protection. In Queens, New York, an Order of Protection may be issued by a Family Court, a Criminal Court or a Supreme Court. If you have been served with an Order of Protection, you have a right to contest the allegations found within the Order; however, it is imperative that you obey the order until you are able to defend yourself at a hearing.

What Is a Defective Product in Queens?

In a perfect world all the products you purchased over the course of your lifetime would work precisely as advertised, would never break down, and would be free from defects. As you know, however, we do not live in a perfect world. Products do not always work as advertised, they all break down eventually, and some of them are defective. While the law may not intervene if a product doesn't live up to expectations or reaches the end of its useful life, the law most certainly addresses situations where a product is defective. In fact, a defective product that causes injury to an individual can form the basis of a personal injury lawsuit.